Wednesday, 28th August, 2019
What is Two-Factor Authentication?
Two-factor authentication adds an additional layer of security by adding a second step to the login process. It takes something you know (ie. your password) and adds a second factor, typically something you have (such as your phone). Since both are required to log in, the threat of a leaked password is lessened.
One of the most common and simplest forms of Two-Factor Authentication is Time Based Tokens. With Time Based Tokens, in addition to your regular username & password, you also have to enter a 6 digit code that re-generates every 30 seconds. Only your token device (typically a mobile smartphone app) will know your secret key and be able to generate valid one time passwords for your account.
Using Two-Factor Authentication
Clients can begin to use Two-Factor Authentication after one or more services have been activated and configured on the installation.
Within the Client Area
Configuring Time Based Tokens in Client Area
The following steps demonstrate how Client Users can setup Two-Factor Authentication on their account using the Time Based Tokens service.
- From the Client Area, being by navigating to Hello, Name! > Security Settings
- Click on the Click here to Enable button
- Select the Time Based Tokens service
- Click on the Get Started button
- Scan the QR code with an authenticator app such as Google Authenticator or Duo Mobile
- Enter in the 6-digit code that the authenticator app generates
- Click on the Submit button
- Record the Backup Code in a safe place
- Click the Close button