What is Two-Factor Authentication?
Two-factor authentication adds an additional layer of security by adding a second step to the login process. It takes something you know (ie. your password) and adds a second factor, typically something you have (such as your phone). Since both are required to log in, the threat of a leaked password is lessened.
One of the most common and simplest forms of Two-Factor Authentication is Time Based Tokens. With Time Based Tokens, in addition to your regular username & password, you also have to enter a 6 digit code that re-generates every 30 seconds. Only your token device (typically a mobile smartphone app) will know your secret key and be able to generate valid one time passwords for your account.
Using Two-Factor Authentication
Clients can begin to use Two-Factor Authentication after one or more services have been activated and configured on the installation.
Within the Client Area
The following steps demonstrate how Client Users can setup Two-Factor Authentication on their account using the Time Based Tokens service.
- From the Client Area, being by navigating to Hello, Name! > Security Settings
- Click on the Click here to Enable button
- Select the Time Based Tokens service
- Click on the Get Started button
- Scan the QR code with an authenticator app such as Google Authenticator or Duo Mobile
- Enter in the 6-digit code that the authenticator app generates
- Click on the Submit button
- Record the Backup Code in a safe place
- Click the Close button
Wednesday, August 28, 2019